Re: MathML Test Files are cheating!

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 15:35:55 +0100
To: piret.stephane@ibelgique.com
CC: www-math@w3.org

> The source given sometimes refers to entities like
> &ExponentialE; , &gamma; , &infinity; ,  ect..., but
> the actual source uses codes like &#x02147; ,
> &#x003B3; or  &#x0221E; .

Not really cheating but perhaps we could be more clear in the documentation.

The original source uses entity refs, but the xml examples you see have
(mainly, except for the tests specifically testing entities) had
the entities expanded, so they don't need to use a DTD.

This improves loading times and avoids some problems DTD parsing with
current browsers. (Note it's often hard to stop this expansion
happening, for example an XSLT identity transformation would have this
effect).

> MathML is a great project, I whish we can soon use it
> on the web.

MathML works today in current versions of mozilla, netscape and IE.
(If you avoid a few problems with entity references....)