Re: Automatic Differentiation

Thanks, Michael. So I didn't quite understand if there is an AD tool for
OpenMath... Is there one?

Cheers,
Leo.

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Michael Kohlhase wrote:

> Leonardo,
>
> > 	Is anyone aware of a tool to which I could pass a MathML content
> > object and get the function evaluation, first and second derivatives
> > computed by Automatic Differentiation? I couldn't find one on google, but
> > I did find AD among the interests of many MathML people, which makes me
> > optimistic...
>
> I do not think that there is a tool out of the box, but as content MathML
> is roughly equivalent to OpenMath (see http://www.openmath.org), for which
> has been used as an interlingua between computer algebra systems, it should
> be relatively easy to obtain such a system.
>
> The way I would go is to use a transformation style sheet from content
> MathML (I think there is one by David Carlisle somewhere at
> http://www.openmath.org), and then use one of the systems there. If you are
> interested in using such systems over the web, you may be interested in the
> MathWeb system at http://www.mathweb.org. I am not sure, there may be a
> service there that does something like this.
>
>      Michael

Leonardo B. Lopes                                       leo@iems.nwu.edu
Ph.D. Student                                              (847)491-8470
IEMS - Northwestern University              http://www.iems.nwu.edu/~leo