Re: Automatic Differentiation

From: Michael Kohlhase <Michael_Kohlhase@asuka.mt.cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:29:38 -0500
To: "Leonardo B. Lopes" <leo@iems.nwu.edu>
cc: www-math@w3c.org, jzimmer@mathweb.org
Leonardo,

> 	Is anyone aware of a tool to which I could pass a MathML content
> object and get the function evaluation, first and second derivatives
> computed by Automatic Differentiation? I couldn't find one on google, but
> I did find AD among the interests of many MathML people, which makes me
> optimistic...

I do not think that there is a tool out of the box, but as content MathML
is roughly equivalent to OpenMath (see http://www.openmath.org), for which
has been used as an interlingua between computer algebra systems, it should
be relatively easy to obtain such a system.

The way I would go is to use a transformation style sheet from content
MathML (I think there is one by David Carlisle somewhere at
http://www.openmath.org), and then use one of the systems there. If you are
interested in using such systems over the web, you may be interested in the
MathWeb system at http://www.mathweb.org. I am not sure, there may be a
service there that does something like this.

     Michael