Best way to implement sup/sub???

From: Jimmy Cerra <jimbofc@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 20:31:42 -0400
To: <www-math@w3.org>
I'm writing a JavaScript program to translate MathML(1.01)-Presentation
into HTML4, with backwards compatibility for HTML3 (so that all browsers
down to NS3 can see & print MathML, in addition to better support for
alternate formats).  I'm pretty satisfied with my progress so far, but I
would like some help with a design decision:

Superscripts and Subscripts can be represented using tables or the
sup/sub elements in HTML.  When an MathML element uses both Superscripts
and subscripts, then tables are the way to go.  However, should I use
the sup/sub elements for simple subscripts and superscripts instead of a
complicated table???

---
Jimmy Cerra