Re: Parameter entity error in MathML/XHTML DTD?

From: Klaus Bosse <klaus.bosse@ngi.de>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 13:59:56 +0200
To: "W3C MathML" <www-math@w3.org>, "Michael Bowen" <fizzbowen@mindspring.com>
Cc: "Waltraud Schweikhardt \(Uni\)" <schweikh@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>
Michael Bowen wrote

> When I try to display the web page
> http://www.oxnardcc.org/~mbowen/answers/sf5ch01test1.htm in Windows 98SE
> IE6 with MathPlayer, I get the following error message:
>
> =====
>
> The XML page cannot be displayed
>
> Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and
> then click the Refresh button, or try again later.
>
> Parameter entity must be defined before it is used. Error processing
> resource 'http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/dtd/xhtml-math11-f.dtd'. Line 148,
> Position 2
>
> %xhtml-prefw-redecl.mod;
> -^
>
> =====
>
> Is it the style sheet or is it my coding?

It's a problem of the IE-XML-Parser. It ignores the IGNORE Keyword :-)) in
the XHTML plus Math 1.1 DTD and then tries to read the Entity-Declaration
for xhtml-prefw-redecl.mod :-(

XHTML plus Math 1.1 DTD:
<!-- Pre-Framework Redeclaration placeholder  .................... -->
<!-- this serves as a location to insert markup declarations
     into the DTD prior to the framework declarations.
-->
<!ENTITY % xhtml-prefw-redecl.module "IGNORE" >
<![%xhtml-prefw-redecl.module;[
%xhtml-prefw-redecl.mod;
<!-- end of xhtml-prefw-redecl.module -->]]>

I validate my documents localy by using the excellent XSLT-processor
XALAN from the APACHE XML PROJECT:

http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/index.html (JAVA-Version)

 validation sample tool:
http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/samples.html#validate

Of course you must then place the DTD localy, for example in
a subdirectory ./dtd ,
and change the DTD declaration in your source document so
that it points to the local version:

'./dtd/xhtml-math11-f.dtd'
instead of
'http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/dtd/xhtml-math11-f.dtd'