Re: IEEE 754 (or 854) floating point arithmetics with MathML

From: Zdenek Hurak <z.hurak@c-a-k.cz>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:53:16 -0500 (EST)
To: "David Carlisle" <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Cc: <www-math@w3.org>, <Robert.Hornych@quick.cz>
Thank you very much David, for your fast response. I would be much obliged
to you if you could give me some more hint on how to use floating point
numbers in MathML:

> You can use <cn type="real">1.234</cn> or <cn
type="e-notatation">0.1234<sep/>1</cn>
> but in both cases it is is essentially arbitrary precision numbers. You
> can use a definitionURL attribute to override this semantics, perhaps
> pointing at IEEE or maybe at openmath.org.

I am a newbie to MathML, therefore a very short hint or example would be
much appreciated. I think it is really crucial to be able to encode floating
point arithmetics (IEEE 754) for a MathML project to be fully useful.

As I have described earlier, we are working on some routines for conversion
from Matlab (Polynomial Toolbox for Matlab) to MathML. A basic data type in
Matlab is 'double'...

Zdenek Hurak
Czech Technical University