Re: Extensions to MathML

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, John Fletcher wrote:

> I am interested to use MathML for objects such as quaternions in
> content MathML. Have any rules been made for how to define such
> objects?
>
> Thank you
>
> John Fletcher

> Dr John P. Fletcher          Tel: (44) 121 359 3611 ext 4625
> Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry (CEAC),
> School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS),
> Aston University,            Fax: (44) 121 359 4094
> Aston Triangle,              Email: J.P.Fletcher@aston.ac.uk
> BIRMINGHAM B4 7ET  U.K.      CEAC Web site http://www.ceac.aston.ac.uk/

One way to do this would be to use a semmantics element, with a link to
some external definition source, for example the OpenMath symbol H, from
the content dictionary setname2 (in the case of the quaternions). As in:
(if you're unfamiliar with the OpenMath concept, the site is:
http://www.openmath.org/ )

<semmantics>
  <mi> H </mi>
  <annotation-xml encoding="OpenMath">
    <OMS cd="setname2" name="H"/>
  </annotation-xml>
</semmantics>

another way would be to use the csymbol element with a definitionURL
attribute,

cheers,

Bill