Re: W3-MathML questions: real/float, annotation, etc.

For sure, the discussion of  "float" (floating-point) is inadequate.

The distinciton between float (floating-point) and real is supposed to be
one of representation.  A real number is entered as a single
CDATA entry consisting of sign, digits and  decimal point.

    <cn  type="real">+345.237</cn>

 while a float is represented as a mantissa. and exponent
separated by a <sep/> entry. (see definition of cn in appendix C)

The distinction between "complex" and "complex-cartesian"  comes up
in the context of identifiers.  It is perfectly reasonable for someone to
know that an identifier stands for a complex number without knowing
what representation will be used for a particular instance of such
a number.  Thus, the type "complex" is a mathematical type while the
types "complex-cartesian" and "complex-polar" are complex numbers
with a particular data representation.

Also, note that the possible type values is not a closed list.

Stan.

p.s.  David C and I will be raising this with the working group and a more
authoritive statement will come from the working group
once we sort out the wording, etc.