Re: Generic symbol problems

It seems as if you are mixing presentation and content markup at the wrong level.
I think you really mean what I show below, perhaps with the additional observation
that the "presentation" of

<apply>
  <select/>
  <ci>x</ci>
  <ci>i</ci>
</apply>

is given by

<msub>
  <mi>x</mi>
  <mi>i</mi>
</msub>

which  be communicated with a "syntax" construct such as

<semantics>
  <apply>
    <select/>
    <ci>x</ci>
    <ci>i</ci>
  </apply>
  <annotation-xml encoding="MathML-Presentation">
    <msub>
      <mi>x</mi>
      <mi>i</mi>
    </msub>