Missing markup element: trace of a matrix

From: Joe Gottman <JGottman@impact-tech.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 14:27:55 -0500
To: "'www-math@w3.org'" <www-math@w3.org>
Dear Sirs,

   I was reading your specs for MathML, and I noticed that there was no
operator defined for the trace operation on matrices. (The trace of a square
matrix is the sum of the diagonal entries of the matrix.)  While the trace
of a matrix is not used as frequently as the determinant, I think that it is
used often enough that a content markup element be defined for it.

Thank you,

Joe Gottman