(wrong string) 188.cc

From: William F. Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 11:48:48 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-math@w3.org
Several of you have responded privately.

I pointed to what I saw as a problem by quoting the headers.  It's
just that I am not sure what is wrong.  It may be simply the absence
of a content-transfer-encoding header.

Please note the irony in that XML systems *should* be up-to-speed
with different character sets via unicode.  Of course, SMTP is not XML.

I do not know where this problem instance originated.

I am also not sure whether the w3.org relay can do anything about a
message that is originally erroneous in this regard.

And I'm not sure if an SMTP message subject header can be other than 7
bit ascii.

It is unfortunate that the burden of getting this right seems to have
a somewhat unfair distribution.

Curiously, on my screen, configured for ISO latin-1, the subject
header is printable, but AFAIK not representative of any language for
which ISO latin-1 is appropriate.

This raises the question of what regexp calls in various programming
languages may be used to discern a legal XML tagname.

                                       -- Bill