Re: UMI Dissertation Abstracts

From: Michael John Downes <mjd@ams.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 13:10:55 -0400
To: www-math@w3.org
David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk> writes:

> The official reason given for this policy change:
>   TeX/LaTeX unlike SGML is not Y2K compliant
>
> Huh?
>
> This must be the daftest reason imaginable.

I suspect that the misunderstanding arose this way: They were running a
vintage 1991 version of PCTeX or something similar and whoever they
consulted about it said that it would probably not work on January 1
2000, without explaining that the principal reason for the failure would
be the OS rather than the application.