Re: What are your plans for MathML macros?

From: James Ramsey <jjramsey_6x9eq42@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 16:11:35 -0800 (PST)
To: www-math@w3.org
Cc: Barry MacKichan <barry@mackichan.com>
I wrote:

>I noticed that in the specifications for MathML, there were plans to
>implement macros in order to allow hand-coding of MathML to be much
>easier.

These are the plans that I was talking about:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-MathML/chapter5.html#sec5.3

So with that little clarification I ask again:

Do you plan to have the macros for MathML only be XML-type tags, or do
you plan to allow the user to be able to do something perhaps like let
 "[" and "]" stand for the <apply> and </apply> tags or let "+" stand
for <plus/>, etc. I know this would break the XML rules, but I think
it might be a good idea to only require the low-level MathML tags to
be XML-compliant, and let the macro implementation allow for notations
similar to TeX or EzMath.

This is in reply to Barry MacKichan <barry@mackichan.com>, who wrote:

> The expectations are that MathML will for the most part be written
by tools
> that will look something like the current Scientific Word or
MathType.  The
> most natural design for these tools is to parse the MathML and to
change the
> tree as the user makes changes.  Any macro information will likely
be lost
> when the resulting tree is written out as MathML.  Macros are
essentially
> incompatible with these tools.
>
> --Barry MacKichan
> President, MacKichan Software, Inc.