Why is it difficult to render math(s) in a browser?

From: J_BUTLER <james.butler@reuters.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 15:02:40 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-math@w3.org
Cc: James Butler <james.butler@reuters.com>
OK. I am new to MathML so forgive my ignorance.

But, I have heard it said that math(s) is difficult to render in a browser.

Why so???

MS Equation Editor has no difficulty rendering math(s) in a word doc so why
not a similar setup in a browser. In fact the same setup.

What's wrong with that?

James Butler.

Research Assistant, Corporate Technology Group.

Reuters Ltd.
4th Floor
85, Fleet Street
London
EC4P 4AJ

Tel. (0171) 542 9562

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual  sender,
except  where  the  sender  specifically  states them to be the views of
Reuters Ltd.