Re: MathML vs HTML math, vs ???

From: David Wheeler <wheeler@ida.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 09:37:37 -0500
To: "Gregory A. Landrum" <landrum@hal9000.ac.rwth-aachen.de>, "Richard J. Fateman" <fateman@CS.Berkeley.EDU>, www-math@w3.org
I've said before on this email list, and I say it again, that the
current MathML specification is FAR TOO COMPLICATED.
It makes easy things HARD and hard things rediculous.

Also, the current specification requires that a browser implement
the specification in order for anything reasonable to be displayed.

Both of these facts are unnecessary.  The vast majority of Math
information can be displayed using simple, easily parseable text.
A nice advantage of this approach would be that browsers that DON'T
implement a "MathML" could still diplay something reasonable.

An approach that defined a simple approach for majority circumstances, and
then additional markups when the defaults don't work, would be preferable.
The existing work need not be thrown out; the "simple" approaches could
be defined in those terms.

DISCLAIMER: These are my opinions, not necessarily shared by my employer.

--

--- David A. Wheeler
    dwheeler@ida.org