Re: Review of WWW Mathematics Browsers, MathML and HTML.

From: William F. Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 09:01:50 -0500 (EST)
To: davidc@nag.co.uk, hutch@psfc.mit.edu
Cc: www-amaya@w3.org, www-math@w3.org
I have not looked at Ian's work.

But David's comments about character entities lead me to suggest that
it might be helpful to add to MathML a layer of core characters, say,
corresponding to STIX, that are empty xml elements.

Then if I am writing a processor from an authoring xml format to
a presentation xml, say, voyager+mathml, I would have a better idea
of what to write.

Also provide in MathML distributions a default, but hackable,
translation of this core into the world of character entities.

It goes without saying that I see no place for character entities in
authoring dtd's.

                                   -- Bill