Re: <fn> and occurence

From: Robert Miner <rminer@geom.umn.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:40:46 -0500 (CDT)
To: www-math@w3.org
CC: jsdevitt@maplesoft.com, sb@stilo.com

Hi.

Kostya Srebriany wrote:

> Hello, All.
> This example is from manual
>     <apply>
>
> but in chap4_1.html said that 'occurrence' attribute may be used only
> with <declare>.
> PlusMinus is listed in dictionary.

I think the <fn occurrence="infix"> example is an error.  I copies
Stan Devitt and Stephen Buswell on my message, so I hope we get
confirmation.  But I don't think 'occurrence' should be allowed
anywhere except 'declare'.

On the other hand, you examples clearly point out a problem here.  It
would be unbearable painful to have to use <declare>'s to specify how
you want an operator with several forms to be used.

> So, we may accept the 'occurrence' attribute in <fn>.
> But if I want to write n@ in content murkup (n factorial, but for '!'
> we use '@') I will fail because there is no predefined value 'postfix'
> for the occurrence attribute.
>
> And second.
> What should we render if we see
> <apply>
>  <fn>
>   <mo>&SomeInfixOrPostfixOperator;</mo>
>  </fn>
>  <ci>x</ci>
> </apply>?
> Should we use the default value occurrence="Function-model" or use
> 'form' of operator?
>
> I have many more questions on this topic.
> May be someone have FAQ on it? ;-)
>
> Kostya

I doubt if there is already a FAQ on it.  Perhaps the thing to do is
to start by making a list of examples showing the problems/ambiguities
with the current model(s).  We can look at them assuming either there
is or is not an occurence attribute on <fn>.

--Robert