Re: Math Markup is too awkward.

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Nick Sushkin wrote:

> In the form proposed the math markup language is very awkward. One
> perhaps will have to convert from LaTeX and then reedit MMML
> manually. Compare LaTeX syntax to MMML:
>
> LaTeX:  (x+2)^2
>
> MMML:
>
> <MSUP>
>   <MROW>
>     <MF>(</MF>
>       <MROW>
>         <MI>x</MI>
>         <MO>+</MO>
>         <MN>2</MN>
>       </MROW>
>     <MF>)</MF>
>   </MROW>
>   <MN>2</MN>
> </MSUP>
>

> I don't want to type MMML, no way. It's ridiculous.

You won't have to type MathML directly. There will be a number
of ways to avoid this, e.g. by using a filter from other formats
or using a template editor such as in Word and FrameMaker. W3C's
Amaya browser/editor will include such a feature.

I am working on an easier to write format (EzMath) that can be
used to translate into MathML, e.g.

  (x+2)^2
  integral from 0 to pi of sin ax wrt x
  2nd derivative of f(x) wrt x

Regards,

phone: +44 122 578 2521 (office) +44 385 320 444 (gsm mobile)