Re: http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/WD-logfile.html

>> #End-Date: 13-Jan-1996 21:00:00
>> #Remark: Joe stopped server, left town for 4 days, reconfigured & restarted
>
>Hmmm. I let people stop (and start) virtual servers independently of
>each other, and End-Date for stopping any particular server doesn't
>seem appropriate. I still want that information in the log file,
>though. So it gets a remark: "#Remark: aserve for www.phone.net:80
>exited" and End-Date gets added to the log when the server rotates
>them.

We'll have a different set of log files for each virtual server, so in that
case #End-Date would be logically appropriate.  #Remark isn't a machine
readable informing mechanism.  Rollovers obviously indicate a logging
stoppage, but a logging stoppage doesn't indicate a rollover.

-----
the Programmer formerly known as Dan
                                     http://www.spyglass.com/~ddubois/