Re: ftp thru proxy patch

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:

> At 12:17 PM 11/27/96 +1100, Herbert Xu wrote:
> >	I reported a problem about FTPing thru proxies
> >with ComLine, LineMode, etc. several weeks ago and received
> >no replies.  I was able to get it work by applying the
> >appended patch.
>
> Sorry about that!

No problems.

I do have another question on the numbering of libwww versions.
When does the major number go up? That is, who decides when to
call a release 6.0 for instance.

I want to know this because I'm planning to make shared libraries
of libwww for Linux and the general policy there is that major
number only goes up if the library is binary incompatible.  Is
the same true for the numbering of libwww versions?

> Ah - I see! However, I would change this part which is the next block from
> where your patch is applied. This is where the protocol module is deduced
> form the URL. You can try something like this (which could be made more
> elegant!)
>
>     /* Find a protocol object for this access scheme */
>     {
>         char * proxy = HTRequest_proxy(request);
> 	 char * access = NULL;
> 	 if (!proxy) access = HTParse(physical, "", PARSE_ACCESS);
>         if ((protocol = HTProtocol_find(request, proxy ? proxy : access))
> == NULL) {
>             if (CORE_TRACE) HTTrace("Net Object.. NO PROTOCOL OBJECT\n");
>             HT_FREE(access);
>             return NO;
>         }
>         HT_FREE(access);
>     }

The above didn't quite work without some modification:

    /* Find a protocol object for this access scheme */
    {
	char * proxy = HTRequest_proxy(request);
	char * access = HTParse(proxy ? proxy : physical, "", PARSE_ACCESS);
	if ((protocol = HTProtocol_find(request, access)) == NULL) {
	    if (CORE_TRACE) HTTrace("Net Object.. NO PROTOCOL OBJECT\n");
	    HT_FREE(access);
	    return NO;
	}
	HT_FREE(access);
    }

Thank you very much for your speedy reply.

--
Debian GNU/Linux 1.1 is out! { http://www.debian.org/ }
Email:  Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <herbert@greathan.apana.org.au>