HTImProxy configuration variable

What is the meaning of the HTImProxy configuration variable in HTAccess?

Its default value is "NO" and the only comment I can find is "If I'm
cern_httpd as a proxy".

This flag's default value causes my MEHOD_HEAD HTLoadPage request to return
an empty stream.  Further debugging shows that in HTLoadHTTP's state machine
the state transition:

case HTTP_SENT_REQUEST:			    /* Put up stream */
    http->target = HTImProxy ? request->output_stream :
HTTPStatus_new(request, http);
    http->state = HTTP_NEED_BODY;
    break;

uses HTImProxy to select the HTTPStatus_new stream rather than the desired
request->output_stream.  The HTTPStatus stream then eats the HTML header
information (as it should for the GET method, but not the HEAD method).

Thanks in advance for any input.

Speedy Mitch
IQ Interface
(415) 331-0304 (office)