Re: CERN LIBRARY OF COMMON CODE 3.0pre1 AVAILABLE

In message <9411261741.AA03668@ptsun03.cern.ch>, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen writes:

>CERN Library 3.0pre1 Release Notes
>
>New or Changed Features:

Lots of good stuff.

As this is a major release, and folks will have to do a bit of re-tooling
anyway, I highly recommend two more changes:

1. Use a more traditional build setup, so folks can just do:

	% zcat www-lib.tar.Z | tar xvf -
	% cd www-lib
	% ./configure
	% make

or use Imake, but I think configure is better.

Prescribing that folks use this WWW/Library/Implementation directory
structure may interfere with integrating the www-lib into other projects.
I know it has interfered with several of mine.

In ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/
see autoconf-2.1.tar.gz Nov 4 10:39 (350432 bytes)

2. Generate the HTML documentation from the C source, rather than
the other way around. I expect that by now you know as well as I
do how many hassles this would alleviate.

I went surfing for a tool to do this and didn't see anything
immediately applicable. But I'm sure a quick perl hack would
do -- or even sed, for maximum portability.

Dan