Re: Problem compiling

John Coppens writes:

> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I/usr/local/include -I../../modules/md5 -I../../modules/expat/xmlparse -DW3C_ICONS=\"/usr/local/share/w3c-libwww\" -g -O2 -Wall -c HTSQL.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/HTSQL.lo
> In file included from HTSQL.c:19:
> HTSQL.h:34:25: mysql/mysql.h: No such file or directory
> In file included from HTSQL.c:19:
> HTSQL.h:97: error: syntax error before '*' token
> HTSQL.h:97: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `HTSQL_getMysql'
>
> mysql/mysql.h does exist, under   /opt/mysql/include

Well, there's your problem right there.  I do not see the "-I
/opt/mysql/include" option anywhere.

> I'm no expert programmer, but I did compile a few apps (including some of my own)
> with mysql without problems...
>
> Please help...

Fixing the configuration option should solve your immediate problem.
However the best help you can have is some advice NOT to do what you've been
doing: manually compiling large software packages and installing them in
various random locations, by hand.

You did not mention what platform you're running.  All major Linux
distributions, various BSD flavors, and other platforms -- they all have
their own tools for managing software package deployment, and maintenance --
rpm and apt on Linux, ports on BSD, etc…  They're there for a reason, to
make sure that all software gets properly integrated into the system, so you
don't end up in the situation you just ended up in, right now.

Rather than building MySQL by hand, and installing it into some nonstandard
directory, it would've been better for you to simply install a
pre-configured mysql build, that your platform's software package manager is
likely to be able to install, just by asking it to.