Re: Http request high cpu

From: Akritidis Xristoforos <cakrit@hol.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:46:45 +0200
To: Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no>
Cc: www-lib@w3.org
> libwww is a unique library.  But it hasn't been maintained by anybody
> for two years, and that's starting to show.

I devoted a full man-month trying to understand libwww,
writing a function of intermediate complexity  (supporting post requests, xml parsing, authentication etc.)
and figuring out that the problems I encountered were due to libwww and not my code.

I switched to libcurl, rewrote the same code in a week and haven't
looked back.
Perhaps this library has some features that libcurl doesn't, though I
didn't have to use them for my needs.
However, for libwww to survive, someone has to focus on these features
and let libcurl do the rest.
Personally, I can't find any reason to suggest libwww to anyone.

Christopher Akritides
Hellas On Line, Greece