Re: Heads up. Upgrading the autotools and expat versions

Thanks Richard! I was wondering how that autogen-wrapper was supposed
to work. So, no need to worry. When I upgraded to autoconf, I had
already made the change the file to configure.ac.

If you want to submit an autogen.sh file, I will be glad to include
it. I've seen some examples of them. I just don't like it very much
when they also call the configure script before you have changed
to an object directory for compiling. I spent some time fighting with
a library that did that and left some traces on the directory and
kept me from being able to go to another directory for compiling :)

Thanks for the libtoolize advise too!

Richard, are you the debian maintainer for libwww?

-jose

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 03:03:36PM +0100, Richard Atterer wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 01:08:35PM +0100, Jose Kahan wrote:
> > If you're running under debian woody, you need to install the latest
> > version of tools: automake1.5, autoconf2.50 (it's 2.53, btw). You'll
> > have both the old and the new versions in your system. You need
> > to use the new ones, of course. To do so, you need to type the version
> > of the new one, e.g., autoheader2.50.
>
> You could change the name of "configure.in" to "configure.ac", then the
> Debian wrapper script for the auto* tools will default to calling the 2.5x
> versions of the tools.
>
> IMHO it'd also be nice if there were an "autogen.sh" file - the
> bootstrapping instructions are a bit complex and it's hard to find them in
> all the other documentation, whereas autogen.sh is pretty standard.
> Something as simple as the following script would do:

[snip]