How do I get headers and data for a request no matter what happens?

From: William Bardwell <bardwell@curl.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:49:04 -0400
To: www-lib@w3.org

I am trying to use libwww (latest version) to build a general purpose
HTTP API, and I am having trouble with some very basic things.

I want to get both the data and the headers for all requests, even
ones that are considered failures, and regardless of if I have
turned on the cache.

I am finding that the HTAnchor has the headers only for successful
requests with the Cache turned on, and HTResponse never seems to have all
of the headers.  I am finding that if I get the output/debug streams in
RAW format, then I do see the headers on the stream (and I can parse
them myself), but the data is sometimes in chunked mode, and I really
don't want to re-implement chunk decoding.  Is there some way to get
both the headers and the decoded data at the same time?

(Perhaps I need to register a converter that can see the raw stream, but
then pass everything that it sees on to a stream stack that WWW_SOURCE
would normally construct?  But I can't figure out what exactly I do to
do that, and that seems like a lot of work for something fairly simple.
(I guess that I register a converter for some www/x-my-header-capture
that captures the headers, and then have that use
that it passes the data on to, but that seems like then the stream
is getting the wrong format (since it asked for my custom format),
instead I want my converter to somehow be always part of the
WWW_RAW -> WWW_SOURCE stack...)

William Bardwell