Newbie Question: Asynchronously counting instances of a particular string as a request is being sent

From: Michael Malloy <Mike@KnowNow.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 21:29:53 -0500 (EST)
To: <www-lib@w3.org>

I need to write a program that will make an http request and count how
many times a particular string is in the request as the request is being
served.  For example, I need to keep a running count of the number of
times the strings "start" and "stop" occur in the response.  I can't
wait for the entire response to be received before collecting the
results.

The examples are great but I'm not quite sure which approach to use.
Help is greatly appreciated.