W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-lib@w3.org > July to September 2001

Re: FW: get it while it's hot - raw XML

From: Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 16:36:51 +0200
To: www-lib@w3.org
Message-ID: <m3elr3hi4g.fsf@viffer.computas.no>
>>>>> "Josh Watts" <jwatts@pretorynet.com>:

> John Punin had a much better way to get raw XML from libwww. Thanks
> for the help John!

>> From: John Punin [mailto:puninj@cs.rpi.edu]
>>
>>>>> Just one question. Why you didn't just add a line to your program:
>>>>>
>>>>>  HTConversion_add(c, "text/xml", "*/*", My_HTXML_new, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0);
>>>>>
>>>>> Where c is the list of your converters and My_HTXML_new is
>>>>> your generic stream.

FWIW I used to have
    HTFormat_addConversion(mimeType.c_str(),"www/present",
			   KNetStream_new,1.0,0.0,0.0);
for registering my own handlers (KNetStream_new() looks into its own
map of handlers, and creates a new one, depending on the MIME type it
is called with).

When I change this to
    HTFormat_addConversion(mimeType.c_str(),"*/*",
			   KNetStream_new,1.0,0.0,0.0);
things work fine if there is no authentication involved.

If there is an authentication response, a stack is created for
conversion from "text/html" to "*/*", and it seems like it is trying
to parse the HTML as XML, which doesn't work for me.

When I have "www/present" as the conversion target for "text/xml",
things work for me when I do GET requests, if I have trace on, I get
lines like:
	StreamStack. Constructing stream stack for text/xml to www/present

However, when I send a WebDAV PROPFIND request, using HTLoad(), the
conversion in the trace is:
	StreamStack. Constructing stream stack for text/xml to */*

And the result from that stack ends up in some black hole.  It
certainly doesn't end up in my XML parser.

Hm...
Received on Thursday, 26 July 2001 10:36:56 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 23 April 2007 18:18:39 GMT