Measuring response time

From: Christos Gkantsidis <gantsich@cc.gatech.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 21:38:19 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-lib@w3.org
Hi all,
 I have three questions:

1) Is it possible to measure the time between sending a request and
receiving the FIRST packet of the reply using the libwww?

2) It seems to me that the libwww does not keep any statistical info about
a request (for example the total download time, an estimation of the RTT,
etc.). Am I right? Are there any plans to add this capabilities in future
versions?

3) When a get a reply for a request, I examine the HTRequest object and
I see that the net field is always zero. This field stores information
about the socket which was used during the transfer. A zero (NULL) value
indicates either that the connection was closed after the reply or that
the value was zeroed before returning the result to the user (maybe
because the user must not be able to have access to the socket?). I know
that the first case must not be true since I'm using persistent
connections and pipelining and I can see that the connection is kept
open. What actually happens?
 Also, is it possible to access the socket before the connection closes?

Cheers,

Christos Gkantsidis