Re: libwww status ?

Hello Francois,

In our previous episode, Francois Nicot said:

> activity.
>
> How many activ developers or subscribers are there ?

Active developers, I only know those who have answered the survey.
Subscribers: around 400.

> What is the current status of the project ? Is it still going on ?

I suppose it's still alive :) I haven't had time to apply the patches
that have been sent and roll out another version. I'm also a libwww user
(thru Amaya). Libwww is not my main activity at W3C. I have had much much
work than expected in this last semester so I was unable to invest more time
on it. I mostly limited to commit bug fixes or changes I found thru
my Amaya development.

> What are the results of October survey?

Here are some quick results:

Answers: 18
People willing to integrate the core team: one yes, three conditional yes

Many people would like to see enhancement, changes, better code, ... but
not many have the time to work on it. In my opinion, the libwww
learning curve is a bit step and not many people know the architectural
base. This is an obstacle for forming a core team.

I don't have any problem with donating the whole libwww project elsewhere,
but who's going to do the work? If there is not much interest it may as well
remain in our cvs server

If I haven't given many people CVS access to the libwww base, it's because
I like to do a little quality control when people are mailing their patches
for the first time, then, when they are up to speed, they can do the
commits themselves. Maybe this is a bad approach.

I think we'll have to wait until January to get more detailed results :-/
If someone else wants to help me compile the survey[1], he's welcome!

Kenavo,

-jose (previously from Rennes)

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-lib-survey/2