Libwww newbie question: How do I set up two streams on one request?

From: Oluf Nissen <onissen@adomo.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 15:35:23 +0000
To: www-lib@w3.org
Hi,

I've spent the better part of a week trying to learn how to use libwww.
So far I've made little progress (is this typical?) I have a hard time
getting oriented among the myriad of configuration and setup options of
libwww before it's usable for something specific. It's very difficult,
for example, to get a clear picture of how the example code provided is
to be translated into objects that exist at runtime, and how they relate
to each other.

I have the following task that I want to achieve (and it doesn't need to
be multithreaded for now):

After I submit a request to libwww, I need to send the response to two
different places: if the content type is of a certain mime type, the
result needs to be put into a file, and my application needs to be
notified of the file's arrival. If the content is of a different mime
type, the result needs to be sent via a string to a different part of
the application. The documentation mentions that you can build pipes of
streams, but I have not found any concrete examples of how to do that.
What if I need to add another mime type to the scenario? How would I do
that?

Can anyone help enlighten me on how to do this?

Thanks,
Oluf Nissen