Re: activate the eventloop

From: Peter Stamfest <peter.stamfest@eunet.at>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 18:29:16 +0200 (CEST)
To: "Derruau, Mathias" <Mathias_Derruau@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
cc: "'www-lib@w3.org'" <www-lib@w3.org>
On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Derruau, Mathias wrote:

> Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 16:46:45 +0100
> From: "Derruau, Mathias" <Mathias_Derruau@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
> To: "'www-lib@w3.org'" <www-lib@w3.org>
> Subject: Re: activate the eventloop
>
> I probably miss something, but I can't find a proper declaration of these
> methods GetMessage(), TranslateMessage() and DispatchMessage(). What tpe of
> messages are they supposed to be?

They only exist on Micro$oft-ish so called "operating systems". If you try
to use libwww on a *ix [Looking at your e-mail address, I guess you use
HP-UX], you won't have them.

> Concerning the sockets with HTEvent_register and HTEvent_new, it is what I
> did, and it works...once. I don't really know why.

Strange, I did it just like that. I guess you are just "read"-ing the data
you sent to the socket in your Event callback - you shouldn't do anything
else, I guess.

Have you tried to communicate with socket between different threads
before, without libwww? Maybe there is some more fundamental problem
lurking around.

You may also use a tool like strace (if something like this exists on your
system) to trace the system calls your program uses. You should see
the socket to be included in the fd_sets of a select() system call.

peter