W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-lib@w3.org > July to September 2000

libtool/aclocal configuration problems

From: Ken Olum <kdo@cosmos5.phy.tufts.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 17:21:23 -0400 (EDT)
Message-Id: <200008082121.RAA00337@cosmos5.phy.tufts.edu>
To: www-lib@w3.org
Trying to configure libwww under Red Hat 6.2 I got a bunch of errors
involving
	macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
and
	required file `./wwwconf.h.in' not found

I found some discussion of this on the archive, but nothing that was
useful to me.  Since I've now solved this problem, I thought I would
say what I had to do, so that the next person can find it.

First of all, the statement in the build instructions that you should
not be concerned about warnings in the configuration process is
misleading.  There are some warnings that are harmless, but other
messages such as the "macro not found" above are actually fatal
errors.  Once you see this error, you should know that you have lost,
and you should not proceed with subsequent steps.

The cause of this error, in my case, was not having libtool
installed.  Once I realized this, I installed it, but that still did not
work.  The second problem was that the file libtool.m4 was put by the
installation script in /usr/local/share/aclocal, whereas my aclocal
program was looking for it in /usr/share/aclocal.  Moving the file
there solved the problem and I was able to configure.

I realize that nothing about this has anything to do with libwww, but
if you tell people to get the files straight from the CVS directory and
configure them when all they want is to use the product, it might be
helpful to point them in the right direction for problems like this.

Thanks.

				Ken Olum
Received on Wednesday, 9 August 2000 02:57:34 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 23 April 2007 18:18:37 GMT