_REENTRANT builds under LINUX

From: Andy Levine <andyl@infospinner.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 16:09:54 -0600
To: <www-lib@w3.org>
I have been unable to successfully build libwww under RedHat 5.2 or 6.1 when
I enable the reentrant features (--enable-reentrant to ./configure). The
prototypes of the reentrant functions getXbyY_r used in HTDNS.C included
from netdb.h seem to be different under LINUX than everywhere else.

Searching the lists archives I ran across this message with the same
problem:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-lib/1999JulSep/1120.html

Unfortunately, there seems to be no reply with a fix. Is there a way around
this issue, short of modifying the source ? Shouldn't the configure scripts
be able to handle this ? I would fix them, except I'm totally ignorant of
how autoconf/automake work, and I don't really have the time to learn right
now !!

Thanks
Andy Levine