Libwww problem on Win 2000?

From: Steven D. Gray <steven_gray@rocketmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 23:47:12 -0800 (PST)
To: www-lib@w3.org
I'm new to libwww but didn't see this problem posted in the archive. My
apologies if it has already been asked and answered.

Installed Vladimir Kozlov's pre-built Win32 libwww 5.2.8 binaries.
Libwww tools like comline.exe and WinCom.exe work as expected, provided
the URI references a remote machine. If the URI references my local
machine's web server, the libwww tool hangs for many minutes (tried all
variants: machine name, localhost, IP address). It resolves the name
fine as I get the hang after "Contacting machinename" message is
displayed.

The wrinkle is that I am running Windows 2000 RC2. Installed and tried
the tools on an NT 4 installation and they run without problems.

Is this a known issue and is there a work-around (besides the
obvious--don't use Windows 2000)?

Thanks in advance.
--Steven Gray