Sending Username and Password for HTTP PUT

Hello,

I am trying to write some code that takes in the name of a file to retrieve
from a web server and then connects and retrieves it to the hard drive
(relatively simple).  I am trying to figure out how wwwlib handles username
and passwords since I will need to log into the server to get at the file.
Does anyone have some experience with doing this that wouldn't mind
enlightening me?

Thanks for your Time,

Jeff