is SOCKET other than int on Win32?

From: Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>
Date: 13 Aug 1999 11:26:20 +0200
To: www-lib@w3.org
In wwwsys.h there is the following definition of SOCKET for the Win32
platform:

#define SOCKET SOCKET			/* WinSocks socket descriptor */

Does this mean that SOCKET in w3c-libwww, is something other than int
on the Win32 platform?

I'm working on using the QSocketNotifier from the Qt library:
        http://www.troll.no/qt/qsocketnotifier.html

And the QSocketNotifier class uses int as the socket descriptor
regardless of the platform.  For now I'm working on linux where this
isn't a problem, but I worry that I have to find some way for mapping
between SOCKET and int when I wish to get my code working on Win32.