Re: [www-lib] <none>

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 02:32:15 -0400
To: chris@cousteau.gso.uri.edu, www-lib@w3.org
At 12:27 21/07/1999 -0400, chris@cousteau.gso.uri.edu wrote:
>I have a question about the cache.  Is it totally transparent?  If so, I
>dont understand why the functions are public, and included in the standard
>documentation.  If there are "layers", usually documentation reflects that
>and keeps the user's interface to the library away from the private
>functions used by the library.

Libwww is divided up into layers as well as modules:

	http://www.w3.org/Library/User/Guide/

which is linked from

	http://www.w3.org/Library/User/

The HTTP/1.1 persistent cache is one such module which exports its own set
of functions containing a set of filters and streams that handle the cache
functionality.

>Anyways thats the source of my confusion.  So I'm new to the library and I
>*thought* I had figured out exactly how to incorporate the cache.  I'm
>currently just trying to add it to a command-line URL fetcher (just a
>testing program, so that I can understand this before trying to put it
>into a larger program.)  If anyone could give me perhaps some sample code
>for getting the persistent cache up and going, with an example of fetching
>a URL and storing it in the cache, I'd really appreciate it.

When using the command line tool, for example, you can enable the cache, see

	http://www.w3.org/ComLine/User/CommandLine.html

From an application point of view, this simply means that the cache is
started - after that, it more or less works on its own - it checks whether
it has a document in the cache before going to the network and it makes
sure that new cachable documents are cached as they come in.

http://www.w3.org/People/Frystyk