Re: [www-lib] <none>

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 02:32:15 -0400
To: chris@cousteau.gso.uri.edu, www-lib@w3.org
At 12:27 21/07/1999 -0400, chris@cousteau.gso.uri.edu wrote:
>I have a question about the cache.  Is it totally transparent?  If so, I
>dont understand why the functions are public, and included in the standard
>documentation.  If there are "layers", usually documentation reflects that
>and keeps the user's interface to the library away from the private
>functions used by the library.

Libwww is divided up into layers as well as modules:

which is linked from

The HTTP/1.1 persistent cache is one such module which exports its own set
of functions containing a set of filters and streams that handle the cache

>Anyways thats the source of my confusion.  So I'm new to the library and I
>*thought* I had figured out exactly how to incorporate the cache.  I'm
>currently just trying to add it to a command-line URL fetcher (just a
>testing program, so that I can understand this before trying to put it
>into a larger program.)  If anyone could give me perhaps some sample code
>for getting the persistent cache up and going, with an example of fetching
>a URL and storing it in the cache, I'd really appreciate it.

When using the command line tool, for example, you can enable the cache, see

From an application point of view, this simply means that the cache is
started - after that, it more or less works on its own - it checks whether
it has a document in the cache before going to the network and it makes
sure that new cachable documents are cached as they come in.