HTTP Post Response end of transmission determination

From: Wilbur Streett <WStreett@mail.Monmouth.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 15:55:36 -0400
To: www-lib@w3.org
I have some clients that have decided to make a financial system based on
the HTTP protocol.  I discussed the issues associated with HTTP end to end
acknowledgement a few years ago, but I don't recall exactly were or when,
so I'm forced to ask here for a reference or direct answers to the issues.

I recall that HTTP responses without a content-length field simply stream
the response back to the client side.  But I am wondering about how the
transmission is actually closed, in particular in the case of a persistent
HTTP 1.1 connection between the client and the server.  How does the client
know that the response is complete?  If there is a transmission failure, is
there any specific response back to the server?

Wilbur

        Putting A Human Face On Technology ;-)
  Literally!  http://www.monmouth.com/~wstreett/FaceIT/