Re: Multi-connection HTTP/FTP?

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 09:16:23 -0400
To: Larry Coffin <lcoffin@PointInfinity.com>, www-lib@w3.org
At 10:24 03/07/1999 -0400, Larry Coffin wrote:

>	I'm trying to develop a tool for simulating multiple HTTP and FTP
>clients to a server and was looking at libwww for this purpose. But from
>what I can tell, it does not create multiple connections to the same client
>-- at least not with mget.

When using HTTP/1.1, it's actually often faster to use a single connection
instead of multiple connections - especially if you are downloading several
pages from the same site. You can look at this paper for some more details:

	http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/Performance/Pipeline.html

>(As a side note, if you use mget to test FTP
>downloads, all but the first connection fails.)

Yes, you are right - there are some connection management problems in the
FTP module - it is primarily a question of bit rot - it hasn't been updated
as much as the HTTP module. It may be connected to a problem of listening
on a port doing passive data connections.

http://www.w3.org/People/Frystyk