Re: Tracing enhancements

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 17:20:46 -0500
To: Mikhail Grouchinski <mgrouch@usa.net>, www-lib@w3.org, eric@w3.org
At 16:38 2/18/99 EST, Mikhail Grouchinski wrote:
>libwww HTTrace function doesn't print the file name and line.
>This information would be very helpful for debuging.
>I offer the simple solution how to fix this problem.

This is very interesting - what I would love would be to have all the trace
messages be defines so that they can be left out if you want to make a
small application. As there are so many trace messages, they will take up
quite a lot of space.

The way it is often handled is that you have a set of macros

	HTTRACE1(type, msg, arg1)
	HTTRACE2(type, msg, arg1, arg2)
	HTTRACE3(type, msg, arg1, arg2, arg3)

These would then replace

	if (type) HTTrace(msg, arg1...);

that you see all over in the code.

Eric Prud'hommeaux proposed an alternative where we instead have

	HTTRACE(type, msg, arg1_arg1_arg3)

that is, the args are glued together so that the preprocessor doesn't get

What do you think?