Re: file:

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 16:41:27 -0500
To: Jim_Ravan@avid.com, www-lib@w3.org
At 15:54 1/28/99 -0500, Jim_Ravan@avid.com wrote:

>What is the proper syntax for a file: scheme? I have seen
>file:///dir/subdir/file, but I don't understand why there are three slashes
>after the initial colon.
>
>Is there anyway to know whether or not the user intends that the beginning
>of the path is a physical disk? On a Mac, this matters. On Unix, it's not a
>problem, obviously. I expect the answer is "no, other than server
>convention".

Yeah - what I do is using the HTLocalToWWW(...) function defined in

	http://www.w3.org/Library/src/HTWWWStr.html

There also is a function to convert from URI format to local disk, it is
defined in the same module.

On windows the format is rather strange format which seems to work in most
browsers:

	file:/C:/tmp/irc.txt

for local disk files and

	file://Big/part/tmp/irc.txt