Tracing

From: <Jim_Ravan@avid.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 14:51:31 -0500
To: www-lib@w3.org

Once I have turned some tracing on with HTSetTraceMessageMask(), how do I
turn it off? I would like for users to be able to trace libwww activity,
but they also need to be able to turn it off. I would also like this
capability during debugging. There doesn't seem to be a way to turn off
tracing given the current implementation. Have I overlooked something?

To wit: I *can* turn on stream, protocol, and core tracing with:

    HTSetTraceMessageMask("spo");

I can also then turn off stream tracing with

    HTSetTraceMessageMask("po");

But I can't turn off *all* tracing. Attempting to turn off all tracing by
either:

    HTSetTraceMessageMask("");    or
    HTSetTraceMessageMask(NULL);

results in ALL tracing becoming enabled. I would suggest that at least one
of those two calls - both would be my first quess if I were a newbie
libwww-ite - would result in all tracing becoming disabled. But if *that*
were implemented, how would all tracing become enabled? I would suggest
"*".

Or a new character could be defined to turn all flags off, perhaps "^" or
"~".

Or a new call could be defined to turn all tracing off, perhaps
HTClearTraceMessageMask().

Bad idea? I would at least like *some* way to turn all tracing off.

regards,
-jim