Re: Problem with libtool 1.3.2 (Was: No configure script...)

From: Bryan B. Thompson <bryan@cog-tech.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 09:30:09 -0400
To: sb@metis.no, bryan@server.internal.cog-tech.com
CC: www-lib@w3.org
   From: Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>
   Date: 08 Jun 1999 10:57:21 +0200

   > Upgrading to Suse 6.1, updating from the repository, and re-doing
   > the bootstrapping does seem to work.  I was trying to operate on a
   > RedHat 4.2 platform previously, but with current versions of the
   > make, automake, autoconf, and libtool packages.  That just did not
   > work.

   What exact versions of the autoconfig, automake and libtool packages
   did you use?

These were the versions that I installed on a RedHat 4.2 system and they
DID NOT work:

	automake	1.4
	autoconf	2.13
	libtool		1.3
	make		3.74 (GNU)

Using Suse 6.1, the following versions of the relevant software were
installed by default, and WERE successful in compiling libwww:

	automake	1.4
	autoconf	2.13
	libtool		1.2b
	make		3.76.1 (GNU)
	egcs		2.91.66

The problem seems to have been in automake/autoconf.  However, it may be
that there were problems in the versions of automake/autoconf that I
compiled on the RedHat 4.2 version, i.e., in the compiler version, c
library version, etc.