Re: Problem with libtool 1.3.2 (Was: No configure script...)

   From: Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>
   Date: 08 Jun 1999 10:57:21 +0200

   > Upgrading to Suse 6.1, updating from the repository, and re-doing
   > the bootstrapping does seem to work.  I was trying to operate on a
   > RedHat 4.2 platform previously, but with current versions of the
   > make, automake, autoconf, and libtool packages.  That just did not
   > work.

   What exact versions of the autoconfig, automake and libtool packages
   did you use?

These were the versions that I installed on a RedHat 4.2 system and they
DID NOT work:

	automake	1.4
	autoconf	2.13
	libtool		1.3
	make		3.74 (GNU)
	gcc		2.7.2.1

Using Suse 6.1, the following versions of the relevant software were
installed by default, and WERE successful in compiling libwww:

	automake	1.4
	autoconf	2.13
	libtool		1.2b
	make		3.76.1 (GNU)
	egcs		2.91.66

The problem seems to have been in automake/autoconf.  However, it may be
that there were problems in the versions of automake/autoconf that I
compiled on the RedHat 4.2 version, i.e., in the compiler version, c
library version, etc.

-bryan