-bryan thompson

   From: Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>
   Date: 07 Jun 1999 13:38:54 +0200
   Sender: www-lib-request@w3.org

   > When checking out directly from cvs, you need to perform a special boot
   > strap mechanism which generates the various make files and configure scripts:

   > 	http://www.w3.org/Library/cvs.html#Boot

   I fetched and installed
	   autoconf-2.13
	   automake-1.4
	   libtool-1.3.2
   which I think are the latest available versions.

   However I seem to have an incompatibility problem between this version
   libtool and the version of either autoconf or automake, because the
   configure terminates with the message:
   checking for BSD-compatible nm... /home/sb/apps/bin/nm -B
   checking whether ln -s works... yes
   updating cache ./config.cache
   ltconfig: unrecognized option `--cache-file=./config.cache'
   Try `ltconfig --help' for more information.
   configure: error: libtool configure failed

   Has anyone seen this and any tips as to what versions of the utilities
   I should pick on a SuSE linux 5.3 system?

   Thanx!

   - Steinar