Reading from a local file

From: Allen Comer <comer@entropic.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 18:35:20 -0400
To: <www-lib@w3.org>
Hi,

I'm a newcomer so I apologize in advance if any of this has been covered
previously.  I did search through the archives but couldn't find anything.
I have two questions:

* I'm trying to read from a local file.  I'm using the following sequence
(with some obvious things omitted):

	request = HTRequest_new();

	anchor = HTAnchor_findAddress(uri);

      status = HTLoadAnchor(anchor, request);

	status = HTLoadFile(sock, request);

My question is what is the meaning of 'sock' within the context of local
file access?  how should I be initializing this parameter?

* Secondly, is it always necessary, or advantageous, to use 'HTAnchor'
objects?

Thanks,

Allen C.