Re: Feeding the webbot with a list of addresses to check

mostly when I want to have the robot check
multiple URI's I run it multiple times
from a script or bat file.

I suppose we can change the interpretation
of the second and subsequent arguments to mean
additional URI's. Right now they mean keywords to search for.

I personally would prefer (yet another) command line
option along the lines of -addURI *
which would add the named link to the list of initial documents to load.
(The same as finding an <A href="*" > in a document except this link
would name an alternate root or starting-point).

This begs the issue of return-status. What does it mean to
try to fetch one or more documents and they fail to fetch
(or fail to parse, or fail to... ) ?

When only one document-root is given (as it is now)
then the return status is wether the root and all children
came through ok. [at least that is what _I_ find most useful
when building web spiders]

Would it be better to return "OK" if ALL of them fetch and
parse [AND] -or ok if any one of them comes out ok [OR]?

For instance, I have a growing list of web-sites and pages within sites
that I want to monitor to see when they come online.
So I want to construct a robot that tells me when
any one of them is "visible". (ping is not enough)
I also want a robot that tells me when all of them are healthy.

The inverse is also useful. Suppose I want to know
when a page I am interested in is no longer available?

{-----}
bobr@dprc.net