Re: Problem with repeated

At 21:48 8/13/98 -0000, Tom Friedel wrote:
>I am trying to write a program that initializes the libwww library and
>repeatedly gets pages from the Internet.  However after about 10 iterations
>the requests fail.
>I added a while loop to w3c-libwww-5.1m/Examples/chunk.c to show this
>behaviour.  That program, BTW, calls HTRequest_new() before initializing the
>library, which appears wrong but probably harmless.  I am short of time
>right now and doubt I will be able to debug this problem, and am hoping for
>some advice.

I have written a slightly updated version of your program and I can't find
any problems. Could you please try the version based on the CVS checkout:

	http://www.w3.org/Library/cvs.html

You can find the example at

	http://www.w3.org/Library/Examples/multichunk.c

Linked from

	http://www.w3.org/Library/Examples/

>Also, I noticed that running
>
>Robot/.libs/webbot -depth 1 -prefix http http://www.microsoft.com
>
>I get, after a lot of output,
>
>HTTPReq.c:65 Why is this?
>Aborted (core dumped)
>
>It doesn't seem like I should be on line 65 to begin with.  Can someone
>check these things, to see if I have a bad libwww.a build.  I happen to be
>running on a Linux system.

This is because IIS 4.0 thinks that it should close the connection on a 404
(Not Found) response and not only does it close the connection, it closes
it in both direction so when libwww does pipelining then it receives a TCP
RST which it tries to recover from.

However, the recover mechanism is quite difficult and at some point after
having recovered many times due to premature TCP closes it looses track.

I have reported this to the MS guys.

Henrik
--
Henrik Frystyk Nielsen,