Re: Robot application profile; should recognize 301 automatic redirect?

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 20:53:46 -0400
To: berrym@isc.upenn.edu (Mike Berry), www-lib@w3.org
At 17:08 05/08/1998 -0400, Mike Berry wrote:
>The robot profile contains much of the same functionality as the
>client, but it does contain less filters. For example, robots are
>normally not interested in performing automatic redirections or access
>authentication, and hence this is not part of the robot profile.
>Wouldn't we want a robot to follow this automatic redirect?

In some cases, yes, that is a good idea - it could even be a flag or a rule
in the rule file defining when to follow redirects and when not to.

libwww profiles are really just samples of how you can register different
functionalities and there are plenty other ways of combining the features.

Almost all features can be registered at any time and most of the features
can be registered either globally for all requests or locally for a
particular request. Filters, for example can be registered for a single
request using the appropriate methods in

and globally for all requests using the methods in

Furthermore, local preferences can either override or extend global