Re: Building libwww & ComLine on Windows NT. Also, is saving HTML info easier using ComLine than NN or IE?

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 16:06:54 -0400
To: Jeff Cochand <cochand@pobox.com>, www-lib@w3.org
At 11:52 6/4/98 -0400, Jeff Cochand wrote:
1.  Is there a clean, repeatable process for compiling libwww & ComLine on
WinNT?  (More details of my experience are at the bottom of this message).

No, because there are no clean, repeatable way of giving out makefiles on
WinNT. This is a sad state of affairs, but the best thing in order to
compile libwww is to use the MSVC make files that come with the code.

2.  I want to capture and save MyYahoo news headlines that I typically view
thru Netscape.  I'm thinking I could use this command line browser to save
the headlines to a file, parse that file, and enter the headlines in the
db.  Would libwww/ComLine make this any easier than doing the same type of
thing by somehow automatically saving an html page via Netscape or IE?  I
want to automate this process to run on a daily basis.

You can indeed use the comline tool for doing this.

    I've tried to compile the Library and ComLine on my up to date NT 4.0 &
VC++ machine.  I'm a very experienced Unix & NT developer, but have had all
kinds of problems totalling 3 hours of thus far non-productive effort.
Maybe you can help?
    First I tried to compile ComLine using nmake at the dos prompt.  I went
thru a series of gyrations - setting up paths, commenting out seemingly
unnecessary includes (sysdep.h I think), etc.  I then realized I needed to
compile the Library first.
    I started with nmake on that & had a similar experience.  I think I got
pretty close - a Bin directory was created with www core, dll, stream, and
utils dll & ilk files in it.  Then it started complaining about not finding
include files (STAT.H).  Eventually I got into VC++, let it create a
project based on your makefile and got to the point of:
Please read the instructions at

for how to compile on Windows.
    ..\..\External\zlib.lib : fatal error LNK1106: invalid file or disk
full: cannot seek to 0xb5a

I think zlib may have been corrupted by my CVS - I have told it that it is
a binary file but it may still have some problems. If it is corrupt then
please get the zlib files directly from

I have an External\zlib.lib.  The disk isn't full, I guess the file is
invalid.  I bagged out thinking maybe my hacking of the makefile screwed
something up.
    I started over, clean unzip (which doesn't smoothly unzip BTW), right
into VC++ with Library\src\windows.  For some reason I get the error:
 LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file ".\../../../Bin/Debug\wwwdll.dll

Sounds like the file is in use - are you compiling or running the program?
What do you mean that it doesn't unzip smoothly?
Obviously I got past this the first time, as a bin\debug dir exists as
described above, however I've lost confidence in the entire build process
you guys have set up.  I'm going thru a lot of hassle & am skeptical of
w3c/ComLine ever doing the job for me.  Any advice?